The traditional Irish preparation of this dish would have been in a cast iron pan over an open flame and ‘fried’ or cooked in a dutch oven on low heat. We are going to get out of tradition just a little bit and cook the cabbage in a crockpot because I am still trying to work on my inner crockpot diva.
Meaning, there is an honest attempt on my behalf to use my crockpot a little bit more.
There are many variations of buttered cabbage. You can add onions, potatoes and even bacon.
I’m pretty much the only one in my house who likes cabbage. Once in a while I can sneak it in something like boiled dinner. Cabbage has a tendency to take on the flavor of the items its being cooked with so they don’t seem to mind its brothy flavor in soup form.
- 1/2 head large cabbage sliced
- 1 stick of butter
- Arrange the cabbage in the crockpot.
- Salt and pepper.
- Place the stick of butter on top.
- Place the lid on the crockpot.
- Cook on lowest setting, up to 4 hours, or until the cabbage is tender.
What is your favorite way to enjoy cabbage?