Cast iron cooking always reminds me of my grandparents. When I was younger and still living in OK we would travel back to MI to visit the family. It never failed that every time we went to my grandparents my grandfather was cooking or already had something done that was stove top or baked in a cast iron skillet.
It was not until my husband purchased me a cast iron skillet last year that I actually started to use it for my own family.
Do you have a favorite cast iron pan meal?
- 1 package 50% less fat pork and chicken bratwurst
- 1 can potato - rinse and drained
- 1 can green beans - rinse and drained
- 1 can asparagus (optional) - rinse and drained
- Place a tiny drop of olive oil in the bottom of the pan and smear it with a paper towel to coat the bottom and sides of the skillet.
- Turn the oven on broil.
- Line everything up in the pan. I put the green beans on one side. The potatoes on the other, then the asparagus.
- The brats go on top.
- Put the skillet in the oven.
- I stand there and watch, constantly flipping so that they don't burn.