Fall is around the corner which means football season is getting closer and closer to being in full swing. This time of year makes me extremely homesick. The summers in Oklahoma aren’t only long, but have extreme heat warnings until October. That could explain my love for Fall and October; things finally start to cool off. I love Fall here in Michigan. The leaves are crisp. There is a chill in the air. The apples have fallen from their trees and cider is being created in the mills.
I miss everything about Stillwater. The town, the people, the college; but most of all, the atmosphere.
My time as a student there was some of the best years of my life. But time living in the city was something I’ll carry with me forever. They always say you can come back home and a part of me will always wish I could.
When the students come back for the fall term, the city shifts. There’s excitement. There’s also that sense of knowing that soon the hot Oklahoma sun is going to lower its guards and reduce the temperatures creating the heat waves. The energy is amazing.
This week is Lights on Stillwater. I can remember when it was a fairly new event and only a handful of vendors. Now, it’s larger than life. This is the time of year when my friends back home start posting picks of their kids who are leaving for college – many leaving for OSU. My friends who live in Stillwater begin posting photos of the events around campus.
I get completely homesick. I can’t wait to go home and visit my friends!!!!!!!!!
To cheer me up and to celebrate everything I love about Oklahoma and OSU, let’s enjoy these fun, festive OSU cupcakes!
- 1 3/4 C Flour
- 2 C Sugar
- 1 C Cocoa
- 1 1/2 TSP Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 TSP Baking Powder
- 1 TSP Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 C Whole Milk
- 1/2 C Oil
- 2 TSP Vanilla
- 1 C Boiling Water
- -Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- -Line the cupcake tins with paper liners.
- -Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- -In a separate bowl add the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla.
- -Add the bowl containing the eggs, whole milk, oil, and vanilla to the bowl holding the dry ingredients.
- -Mix all together until fully incorporated.
- -Beat for 3 minutes on medium.
- -Slowly add the boiling water starting with a small amount then pour in the remaining boiling water.
- -The batter may be a little runny.
- -Fold in mini chocolate chips to batter.
- -Scoop batter into cupcake paper liners until 3/4 full.
- -Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- -Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- -Take out of cupcake pan placing on a wire rack until completely cooled.
- 1 C soft unsalted butter
- 4 + C powder sugar
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- -Cream the butter and powder sugar until it looks light and creamy.
- -If it doesn’t cream add several drops of the heavy whipping cream until it creams.
- -Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon it is ready if not then….
- – Add more powder sugar 1/2 C at a time…. mix well.
- -Test to make sure that the frosting can make and hold a stiff peak.
- -If ready scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a star tip.
- -Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- -Start by frosting on the outside edge of the cupcake working to the center of the cupcake.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Orange & black gel food coloring
- -Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
- -If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 C powder sugar.
- - Spoon half of the icing into a bowl adding several drops of orange gel food coloring. Stir to mix well.
- -Spoon the remaining half of the icing into a second bowl adding several drops of black gel food coloring. Stir to mix well.
(OSU) Oklahoma State University Cupcakes #GoPokes #BleedOrange
- Chocolate cupcake recipe
- Vanilla frosting recipe
- Royal icing recipe
- For the OSU:
- -Locate a picture of the Oklahoma State University logo on Google. Print the picture in color. Tape this picture with small numerous logos of it on it to a cookie sheet.
- -Tape wax paper (covering the copies of the logo) to the cookie sheet . Follow the color and features as printed on the paper.
- -Using a small pastry bag fill with the black royal icing and a #2 tip. Start by outlining the logo first. Fill in the logo ( don't fill in the OSU with the black) with the black icing. Allow this to dry for 30 minutes. Following the outlines of the printed logos.
- -Using a small pastry bag fill with the orange royal icing and a #2 tip. Start by outlining the OSU logo first then fill the logo in.
- -Allow to dry for 5-10 hours.
- -Ensure that the image is dry, gently touch one of them with your finger if it allows you to push in on the icing allow it to dry more. If the image is dry then it will have a hard feeling not allowing you to push in on it.
- -Cut the wax paper holding the completed image into squares surrounding the completed design.
- -Once the image is dry, carefully peel the wax paper off of the back of the images.
- - Place on the frosted cupcake.