I did it. I broke down and decided to give shirataki noodles another chance. My past experiences only included the Hungry Girl endorsed brand House Tofu Shirataki Noodles. I tried rinsing and boiling. I tried rising and boiling in chicken broth. I tried boiling, rinsing, boiling. I tried rinsing, boiling, then pan frying. No matter what secret method I tried; nothing worked. I ate every meal anyway – with the exception of one. I just couldn’t get past the smell. But I hate to throw money away. They just never settled well with me.
Don’t know about you, but I can’t afford a giant box of noodles unless I know for sure I am going to like them. What I noticed was that these two brands do not contain tofu. Many folks on the Atkins, Fat Fast, and Keto forums raved about the Miracle Noodle brand and even gave some tips on how to cook them. There was actually one I did not know about.
Sadly, none of the stores close to me carried non-tofu noodles. I resorted to Amazon. I ended up ordering Miracle Noodle Angel Hair pasta because it was free shipping, add-on item, with the Prime program. (Oh, and I was able to order just one!)
It took me a few days to get brave enough to try them. They came in the same water type material the tofu kind came in, so I was skeptical. Then, last night for dinner, I was starving and I had been craving some chicken fettuccine for quite some time. I decided to give it a shot.
I drained the noodles and rinsed them. And again.
One more time.
Then, I put them in the microwave for a minute. Took them out and blotted them with a paper towel. I did this three or four times until I felt I wasn’t going to be able to blot out any more water. Then I cut the noodles into smaller pieces.
Low Carb Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
Chicken Breast (I cut mine into strips for quicker cooking)
4 TBS Cream Cheese
2 TBS Unsalted Butter
1/2 c broccoli – raw (I added this after the photo)
I cooked my chicken in a cast iron skillet in the oven on broil. (I have a thing for cast iron skillet cooking.) Feel free to grill your chicken how you like it. In the noodle bowl, after they have been microwaved I added 4 tbsp cream cheese and 2 tbsp unsalted butter. I put the mixture back in the microwave for about a minute and thirty seconds. Stir. Make sure the cream cheese and butter are warm and melted. You don’t want any globs and lumps. Once that is done, dice your chicken and add it to the mixture. Stir. Then I added raw broccoli to the top after I had taken the photo. I liked the crunch.
It turned out pretty good. The noodles were way better with no tofu and by cooking this method. I noticed that these noodles don’t have that strong fishy smell the other brand had.
As you know, they will never taste like flour pasta noodles. But, these were at least decent enough that I would make this recipe again. I do think I would thin the cream cheese down a bit with a little heavy cream.
If you make this recipe, let me know your thoughts.
- 1 package Miracle Noodle Angel Hair Pasta
- Chicken Breast (cut into strips for quicker cooking)
- 4 TBS Cream Cheese
- 2 TBS Unsalted Butter
- ½ c broccoli - raw (I added this after the photo)
- I cooked my chicken in a cast iron skillet in the oven on broil.
- Feel free to grill your chicken how you like it.
- While your chicken is cooking, tend to your noodles.
- Microwave your noodles. Blot with a paper towel.
- Microwave your noddles again. Blot with paper towel.
- Continue this process until the water from packaging has been absorbed.
- In the noodle bowl, after they have been microwaved I added 4 tbsp cream cheese and 2 tbsp unsalted butter.
- I put the mixture back in the microwave for about a minute and thirty seconds.
- Make sure the cream cheese and butter are warm and melted. You don't want any globs and lumps.
- Once that is done, dice your chicken and add it to the mixture.
- Then I added raw broccoli to the top after I had taken the photo. I liked the crunch.
Disclosure : This page may contain some affiliates. Regardless, I only link to those that I use or I feel would benefit my readers.