About a week ago, Jillian from Creating Silver Linings, nominated me for a Liebster Award. Just like she said -“Yeah, I didn’t know what it was either.” I have seen the badge floating around the blogosphere. Thanks to Jillian, I found out that it’s a way for bloggers to acknowledge the work of newer bloggers. Yum is about to celebrate her 1st birthday here really soon. I am not sure if I should make the birthday the day I bought the domain , the day I put my first real post up, or the day I really started to get readers and post on a regular schedule. Either way, it’s coming up. I am not a new blogger. I’ve been hanging around these parts since 1997 and watched many blog companies come and go. So sad. But, it’s been worth being able to meet all of the friends I have been able to meet over the years.
Ok. I am rattling now. Thank you Jillian for recognizing YUM as I really have put a lot into this site so it means the world to me to know someone noticed.
The rules are:
I share eleven random facts about myself.
Answer eleven questions that Jillian asked.
Pass the award onto other bloggers.
Ask the nominated bloggers eleven new questions.
This is sort of catch and release meets chain letter. (It reminds me of MySpace bulletin questions LOL.)
Eleven Random Facts
1. I could live comfortable the rest of my life and never have to work again if I took my student loan debt amount and invested it.
2. I’ve never made a bucket list. I have a bucket list board on Pinterest of things that interest me, but no real list to speak of. The only thing I really want to do in life is go to Ireland.
3. I started reading Stephen King when I was about 9 or 10. Carrie was the first book I read after I found it shoved in the back of the hall closet with some of my mothers other books.
4. If there was a food competition for someone who could eat their body weight in cheese, I would probably win. I have a severe cheese addiction.
5. I never follow recipes. I like to break the rules.
6. Up until a few years ago I folded my dirty laundry before I placed in it the basket.
7. I like fact lists. I even made a foodie version.
8. Some people might know this, but most don’t. I have 20 + pieces of fiction published under a pen name.
9. I just turned 39 and I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. When I was younger I always wanted to be a CPA or lawyer. I never thought I could make a living writing, it was something I did in school for fun. I did the accounting thing. I did the writing thing. Now, I really want to do the law thing. The only reason I didn’t go to law school was because I didn’t want to go to school for many years. Well, as it turns out, getting an MBA took me just as long.
10. I spent most of my life in Oklahoma. Tornado Alley. Every time it rains up here in MI and people start to get paranoid, I go outside and watch instead of seeking shelter.
11. I tend to know exactly where everything is in my house. I love it, but I hate it because that means no one looks for things or does things, they all come to me.
My Questions from Jillian
1. Why do you write your blog?
Simply really, I love food. I love the idea of looking at a recipe and coming up with something new. Even though words are my passion, food blogging combines my love even though neither one of them have anything to do with my MBA. I also write to help out this little guy.
2. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
I guess that depends on what you consider early. When I worked in Corporate America I was up by 5 or 6am every morning. Now, I am up about 7 because of the dogs. If I am a late owl, it’s because I have too many things swirling around in my head and can’t sleep.
3. What would you pick for your last supper?
4. What’s your hidden talent?
I can create a mean masterpiece of pointalism. Art Club was a passion of mine growing up.
5. Where was your best vacation?
To date my favorite vacation has to be Niagara Falls. I love being around the water and even though I am not one for tourist type spots, I found this place to be completely zen. My future best vacation will be Ireland/Scotland.
6. What do you find to be the hardest thing about blogging?
Because I run multiple blogs and work from home, I often find motivation and getting my day started to be the hardest part.
7. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
The ability to fly.
8. What is your favorite quote and by whom?
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
9. Describe your perfect day.
Relaxing with a good book, beverage of my choice floating on the water or at least laying next to it.
10. What’s your best recipe?
I think my personal best recipe is my Shepherds Pie. It took me a long time to perfect it. Although, kiddo and hubs might say they really like my chicken and rice.
11. What do you want your readers to understand most about your blog?
Recipes do not have to be perfect. I have had quite a few recipes turn out to be what I thought were failures. That isn’t the case. It might not look good or photography well, but taste is really all that matters.
While I realize not all of these bloggers are new, most of them are new-to-me. It’s ok if you don’t play, but I love it if you would.
1. Nicole at I Heart Food
2. Krystal at Krystals Kitsch
3. The Scent of Oranges
4. Robyn at Simply Fresh Dinners
5. Winnie at Something Sweet
6. Robin at Masshole Mommy
4. Mitch at Gay NYC Dad
5. Heather at Kiss My Broccoli Blog
6. Arman at Big Mans World
7. Nicole at Frugal Maine
8. Tammy at Creative K Kids
9. Christine at Juggling Real Food and Real Life
10. Nicole at 365ish Days of Pinterest
11. Meredith at Perfection Pending
I am looking forward to seeing what these talented bloggers have to say!
Questions for the Nominees
1. If you could travel anywhere, where would it be and why?
2. What is your all time favorite book and why?
3. What would be your last supper?
4. What is your favorite game (board, PC, Game system) and why?
5. Let’s talk television shows. Name your Top 3.
6. Have you every done anything heroic and what was it?
7. Do you own pets? What are they?
8. Do you like your name? Why or why not and if you could change it, what would you change it to and why?
9. Whats the first thing you do when you get up in the morning?
10. What do you want your readers to understand most about your blog?
11. Last but not least, my favorite one – If you could meet with any person alive and dead who would it be and why?
So there you have it folks. Hope you had fun with this today. Even if I didn’t tag you, feel free to answer one of the questions in the comments!